Updated: Aug 22
"Double, double toil and trouble..."
William Shakespeare's Macbeth
With Halloween comes pumpkins, spooks and treats—and the sugar in those festive sweets can play some unwanted tricks on your teeth! How? When bacteria in your mouth eats sugar and leftover food, a weak acid is produced; that acid is the culprit to forming cavities.
Never fear! Halloween is supposed to be fun and it's okay to treat yourself, as long as you’re flossing and brushing twice a day! To help, here is your survival guide to Halloween candy:
Chocolate is probably the safest bet, which is wonderful because it’s the most popular kind of candy given on Halloween! Dark chocolate has less sugar than milk chocolate and chocolate washes off your teeth easier than other sorts of candy.
Sticky and Gummy Candies
Watch out! These can be some of the scariest types of candies for your teeth. Since sticky candy is difficult to clean it remains longer on your teeth, giving cavity-causing bacteria more time to perform its magic.
Hard candies are also ones to watch on Halloween because you can easily fracture your teeth. People tend to keep these kinds of candies in their mouth for longer, allowing the sugar more working time in your mouth.
If they are sticky and sugar-coated, you may want to decline. Sour candy can be highly acidic, weakening or damaging the enamel.
Popcorn is okay as long as you have some floss handy! Believe it or not popcorn kernels are a popular reason for a dental visit.
~Wishing you a Spook-tacular Halloween!~
If you have any questions or need to make an appointment, please call 614-882-2249.